Sunday, August 12, 2012

10 Tips on Motivation...

Ever wake up and say... "Today I am going to workout!" ? Then you either hit snooze, or (if it is the weekend) you go to the computer, log in to facebook or amazon sipping on your coffee (similar to what I am doing now), and all of the sudden it is 11am and you have 100 other things you need to get done that day? We are human, so I am guessing this happens to more people than just myself!

So if you have read my post on writing a goal... you have already done the most critical thing when it comes to putting that goal into action. If you haven't read it... read that first, then come back to this post :).

It was difficult to narrow this list down to just 10 tips... but here are the most effective I have found (not only for myself) but other people that I have worked with on health and fitness goals.

1) Prep Ahead. Lay out your workout gear the night before, and have them in site when you wake up. Also, know what you will need or not need as far as fuel (food/ water) before you begin your morning workout. If you MUST eat prior, choose something low on the glycemic index, and under 100 calories. I usually have a slice of ezekiel toast and 1/2 cup of coffee. I figure I can eat a bigger breakfast after I finish my workout.

2) When you wake up (or if this happens to be in the evening or afternoon) remind yourself of how good you felt when you finished your workout the last time you did it. What a sense of accomplishment you had!

3) At least try to do the warm up. Chances are... you'll start moving and decide to finish the entire workout. If not, at least you got a part of it done.

4) If it is one of those days where you really really do not feel like working out (you are coming up with every possible excuse), do a workout that you know you enjoy. I know what you are thinking, "a workout I enjoy!? There are none!" You will find one, trust  me... it took me most of my life to find one! I love group exercise... specifically Turbo Kick. To get me to run that track in high school/ middle school would have been a miracle. If only they had had Turbo Kick in gym! I also have a few select dvd workout programs that I really love as well.

5) The best way to stay accountable is to find a workout buddy. Find someone that will motivate you (and not come up with excuses). Sometimes this takes some time to find just the right person. Go to the gym together, have them come over and do the dvd with you... OR friend them on "My Fitness Pal" and log in your workouts and share them with each other... later in the week schedule a coffee date as a reward for both of your hard work (and stick to coffee, avoid the pasteries :) ).

6) Set a "mini" goal Sunday Night. I will do "X amount" of workouts this week. 3 cardio (list which ones), and 2 strength training (list which ones).

7) Put them in your calander like a non-negotiable appointment. I learned this one from Chalene Johnson. Especially with some of us having families to take care of, life is super hectic. However, you wouldn't cancel your dentist appointment, right??? Sunday night... put them in your calander... times and days you will workout. Plan how long the workout will take you. That is your time that nobody can interrupt!

8) Download New Music. Sometimes a new tune is just the motivation we need to start a workout for the day!

9) Clear a workout space. Working out at home? Designate a room for your workouts. Clear it out so you have no excuse to workout! Sometimes just knowing that you have that special area will be enough motivation to begin.

10) Post your goals where you know you will see them everyday. On your dvd player, on the coffee pot, the back drop on your phone. Everyday is a step closer to acheiving your goal!

** ONE LAST TIP: As the time ticks away while you get caught up in something else... say to yourself... "The last hour I spent on _________ I could have gotten ________ workout done!". In fact, there is a saying that goes... "If you worked out when you were first thinking about, you'd be done by now". Put down what you are doing and PUSH PLAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment