Saturday, September 15, 2012

How I "Shake my Shake"

I never used to be a "drink a shake" type of girl. In fact, my experiences with shakes were disgusting to say the least. My second year in college I was working at Rite Aid where we sold "Slim Fast" . I thought, "what the heck, I'll give it a shot" and attempted to try and lose 10 lbs. I had to drink this nasty watered down shake for 2 meals a day, and that was a joke. It didn't fill me up & I believe I ended up gaining weight because I would binge from being so hungry at the end of the day.

My second and third attempts were not specifically a "let's drink a shake everyday" type of experience. I was working and going to school, and we had a gym in our town (that I could not afford a membership to) that sold some pretty decent shakes. I would do my workout at the "hole in the wall" gym, then drive to the nice gym to buy a yummy shake for a post-workout snack. They weren't too bad... they used "Myoplex Lite" and mixed things like blueberries and they even had an apple pie recipe in the fall. These were simply "once in-awhile" shakes. The shake did provide me with protein, and was lite in calories, however, it certainly was not a meal by any means. My third attempt was getting some shakes at the weight watchers meetings so I could use them when I had a sweet tooth. Again, not a meal by any means.

Finally, I discovered Shakeology that is produced by Beachbody. I wasn't specifically looking for a weight loss or protein shake, but I joined a weight loss challenge in the fall of 2011. It came with my package, and I thought, FINE! I'll drink it! (Definitely not enthused by the thought of it). After 1 week of drinking it faithfully for breakfast, I could not believe the difference. I had more energy, it literally filled me up that whole entire morning, I can't describe it all... but it was just this healthier feeling! It really kept me on track throughout the whole day. And guess what? I didn't have to drink it for 2 meals a day, ONLY 1. So here I was, losing weight, feeling better & I still had no clue what I was drinking, I just knew it was working, tasted yummy and I was feeling amazing. It was a month or so later, that I finally realized what I was putting in my body. I had NO CLUE!!! The shake was loaded with vitamins & minerals (enough for a daily multivitamin)! It also had the equivalent nutrients of 4 to 5 servings of fruits & veggies. There was 17 grams of protein & no artificial sweeteners. Fiber, and then all of these "super foods" that we can't even get from our regular health foods. You can read more about all these "super foods" and what they do for you here: www.myshakeology.com/brianapalmer.

So I continued on the shake, and then they came out with a "New Formula" with even more super foods and less sugar. The sugar is found in the shake is from the steevia plant and they reduced it from a significant 9grams per shake to 3 grams. The taste suddenly changed.. however, I challenge you to a taste test between Shakeology and MRM Veggie protein powder (which we do store in our house for emergencies when we run out of shakeology), and let me know your opinion. Shakeology still wins the taste test in my books. And if you have never had the old version with the 9grams of sugar, you would never know the difference. The reason the company did this was because, sugar is sugar no matter what form... and they vow that Shakeology is your healthiest meal per day. How could they stick by the vow, if they continued to give us 9 grams of sugar per serving. If we have more sugar, we crave more... so to reduce the sugar was the best thing they could do for us! In addition... the reason the company has not come out with a "Vanilla" version like other competitors is because they can not formulate the flavor of vanilla naturally like chocolate. They would have to add artificial items to get the taste to par with all of the super foods the shake packs in it. I thank the company for sticking to their guns.

Other shakes on the market that I will not mention.. but you may have heard about them through challenges they host as well are packed with artificial ingredients, cost just as much (may appear to be cheaper per bag... but remember, you have to drink 2 per day instead of 1 therefore will probably have to get 2 bags), and most do suggest 2 per day.

Shakeology is not only a great shake for weight loss but it can be an after workout snack (for those looking to just maintain weight).... or you can do a half a scoop instead of a full scoop. Use it for your own goals and health... not just for weigh loss.

PHEW with all that being said.. Shakeology is the BEST investment I have ever made in my health, and with the combination of clean eating (to the best of my ability) and working out... I have lost a tad over 30 lbs (most of which was done in 90 days).... and I am quickly approaching the 1 year mark of when I started my challenge, and I have not gained any weight back (with the exception of occasionally fluctuation 3-4 lbs). 

HERE is how I SHAKE my CHOLCOLATE NEW FORMULA SHAKEOLOGY:

8oz unsweetened (SILK) vanilla almond milk (30 calories)
8 oz water (YES I LIKE TO SHAKE A BIG SHAKE)
1 scoop or 1 single serve pack Chocolate Shakeology
Handful or 2 of Ice
4-5 Frozen Strawberries (??30 calories)??
1.5 TBSP PB2 or Just great stuff Powdered PB (30 calories)
1 TBSP Butterscotch FF/SF pudding mix (I know, artificial... but for now it helps me adjust to the new taste... eventually I'll eliminate this ingredient)> :)

Blend & Shake 2 cycles. Makes a 20-24 oz shake

YUMM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment