Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Clean Eating.... whhhhhaaaaa!?!?!?!


Clean Eating… whhhhhaaa??

Okay, don’t be scared. When I first heard of “clean eating” I seriously pictured myself munching on carrots all day long, putting green junk in a blender and gagging it down.  I almost said…. Heck no, I am not going to do that “clean eating crap”. But it is a LOT better than that. When you think of clean eating think: minimally processed foods, ingredients that you can pronounce & recognize, a lean diet (lean proteins, etc), water, you don’t have to give up coffee if you don’t want to, but maybe you could try to switch to green tea, but if you can’t- drink coffee! It’s okay!

Why I switched from WW to Clean Eating. Don’t get me wrong, WW is great in theory, you get a certain amount of points to consume per day, and you are encouraged to eat veggies and fruits, as well as your recommended daily water. The only trap that I fell into was, “oh I have 10 points left, I can have a slice of pizza”  OR I would want McDonalds, and I would only have a few spare points for the day. That grease was not going to help me when I did 50 crunches that night. Now that I eat clean, I can see my abs! Do I still have a cheat day? Yes, I personally allow myself to. I am human. This is completely up to you, if you feel you need one, or would do better without one. I recommend the first 30 days to try without so you an create the habit. It takes 21 days to create a habit, you know!
 
As far as WW, I didn’t use it properly, I always felt tired. Yes, I did lose weight, but I was still eating junk. I have seriously transformed my body and kept off 30 lbs for almost a whole year now. I value the Clean Eating lifestyle, because you can still eat yummy foods… just better versions of them. I have WAY more energy, have improved my metabolism, and I learned: the only way to actually see what your body is capable of is by eating the foods that it deserves! I am no longer focused on a target point system, but rather healthy meals throughout the day. Each body is different, and I have learned this is what mine needs. I suppose you could use WW and Clean Eating! Totally up to you!

So why did I do this? I heard wonderful things about it, and I didn’t want to just “look better”, I wanted to feel better too! I didn’t want to give up yummy stuff, but I definitely wanted healthier versions of yummy stuff. Here is what I learned: Our metabolism can slow down or speed up based on what we put in our body. Eating clean is one way to accomplish a change in our metabolism for the better, which is a VERY good thing.

Pages to check out: He & She Eat Clean, Jamie Eason Recipes, Chalenejohnson.com/blog

There is a Clean Eating Magazine (to be honest I have never used it)

2 books I love: PUSH by Chalene Johnson & The Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno (the winner of the challenge gets their choice of 1 of these books).

Here is the easiest way to explain it:

1)             Consume 6 to 7 small meals per day (200-300 calories) WHY? You need to keep your metabolism going.

2)            Start your day with protein

3)            Eat more dark green veggies

4)            Consume Minimal Processed foods

5)            Drink plenty of water and avoid carbonated beverages (8-10, 8oz glasses daily).

6)            Minimal refined sugar, soy and dairy.

7)            0.7  Grams of protein daily times your body weight in KG (calculate your body weight in KG and multiply)

8)             Ask how it is prepared when ordering/ eating out

9)             Healthy fats (avocado, evoo, almonds & nuts)

10)       Figure out how much you take in and how much you put out (my fitness pal)

 

“You don’t have to give up meat, or bread! I suggest finding a sprouted grain bread. Like: Ezekiel (frozen organic aisle) 1 loaf can stretch a few weeks (for me at least as I don’t eat it every single day). Sprouts and sprouted-grain products are more readily digested than your typical store-bought loaf of whole-grain bread. In addition, their nutritional profile is high in fiber, protein, vitamins and minerals. It is the cooked form of wheat that causes mucus congestion, allergic reactions, constipation, and bowel irritability. When wheat is sprouted the starch is converted to simple sugars and this has no negative effects on the digestive tract” (Reno, 2009).

 

Here are some more tips from Tosca Reno “The Eat-Clean Diet”

DO:

1)             Eat more- 6 small meals a day

2)            Eat breakfast every day, within an hour of rising.

3)            Eat a combo of lean protein and complex carbs at each meal.

4)            Eat sufficient (2-3 servings) of healthy fats every day.

5)            Drink 2-3 liters of water each day

6)            Carry a cooler packed with Clean foods each day.

7)            Depend on fresh fruits and veggies for fiber, vitamins, nutrients, and enzymes.

8)             Adhere to proper portion sizes.

AVOID:

1)             All over-processed foods, particularly white flour and sugar.

2)            Avoid chemically charged foods.

3)            Avoid foods containing preservatives.

4)            Avoid artificial sugars.

5)            Avoid artificial foods (such as processed cheese slices)

6)            Avoid saturated and trans fats

7)            Avoid sugar-loaded beverages, including colas and juices.

8)             Avoid (or do your best to limit) alcohol intake.

9)             Avoid all calorie-dense foods containing little or no nutritional value. (Reno calls them “anti-foods”)

10)       Avoid super-sizing your meals.
 
Resources: PUSH by Chalene Johnson (2011). The Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno (2009).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment