Friday, January 15, 2010

Giving this a shot..... (me in a nutshell)

Well it's my first blog... how exciting is that?? I think the best way to start this process is to set up a backdrop of my life. Most of you probably know, I am a Social Worker. My official title at my job is "Mental Health Clinician II" (if we want to get technical). Ok, Ok.... so many people ask what a "social worker" is... and NO it's not just, "one of those nice people that help people". http://burnedoutsocialworker.blogspot.com/2009/01/you-know-you-are-social-worker-if.html check that out to see if it gives you a better idea. First, you will most likely get a bacheolrs in Social Work or BSW (this is a generalist degree) prepares you for many different fields/ aspects whether you are interested in Child Welfare, geriatrics, Mental Health, Schools, etc. Eventually you'll then get the Masters in Social Work, this is when you can really focus on what area you want to work in and essentially develop an expertise for it. My courses were in the Mental Health Concentration and my field work was at a School. When all is said and done, you end up doing OHHHHH.... a good 1125 hours of field work in a course of about 6-8 years or so. Then you take a 4 hour, 200 question exam for your boards to get licensed to practice (I am in the process of registering for this... and believe me, I'll keep you posted.

No matter what you call it, I value my work. I put all personal issues aside while I am at work to perform my duties. It is peoples lives that I work with and I MUST take it very seriously. If you could take a glimpse into my day, most of you that know me very well might be shocked. I facilitate group therapy, and I am not shy about it. I talk about issues that might make some of you feel uncomfortable, it is quite an interesting job... and I love it. I don't check stocks, or check business books, I check the DSM IV. I have to use creativity and make very difficult decisions sometimes. Do I get stressed? Well, of course! But it is all very worth it. Prior to this, I worked in Child Protection for the county and Foster Care... all valuable experiences.

So, my family? I am the youngest of three girls in my family. I have one sister in a different State and another 30 minutes away. My parents are also 30 minutes away and still married after 39 years and 5 months! I stay here in Western, NY because I want to raise my future family here someday and have them close to their Grandparents.

School? I am FINALLY done with school after 6 years. So why mention it you might ask? Well, obviously it has gotten me where I am today and I honestly never thought it would end! Even taking a year off inbetween and going through some personal issues and finding the strength to go back has morphed me into who I am today. So, I always have a spot for JCC, Fredonia State, and University at Buffalo. My lifelong goal is to teach in a Social Work program someday and that is another reason I cling to my memories from school.

Lastly, my boyfriend, Chris. We live together with our dog, Ladybug. Chris is finishing school for Social Work and I am so glad we have this in common with one another. He is going to make an excellent Social Worker someday (please don't mind if I use "excellent" a lot, I use it way too much at work and it has slipped into my every minute vocabulary).

Is my life perfect? No! Whos is? I am learning every single day, and I want to share with you what I learn. Thanks for reading.....

No comments:

Post a Comment